The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. - Wm. Blake

Monday, July 18, 2005

Foxy NPR?

Nah. Just useless NPR.

What's sad is that I heard that report, and heard those same two errors/oversights/spins, and still thought, "Well, not too bad for Juan Williams." You know, the moment I found out my wife was pregnant, I was actually in the midst of cursing Williams over some crummy report - maybe one of his patented softball interviews. I'm proud to say that I don't actually recall what it was, but my wife had to interrupt my rant to tell me the news.

For awhile, I thought my theme - beat, as it were - for a blog, were I ever to start one, would be So-Called Liberal NPR. I have a whole thesis on this that I'll write up some day, but the short version is that their news coverage is about as straight as possible, their political coverage is all over the place but rarely liberal (with pride of place given to worthless conventional-wisdomers like WIlliams and Cokie Roberts), and the cultural coverage is liberally earnest and multicultural, but rarely blue state-liberal as such (you hear a lot more Southern accents than you do in anyone else's cultural programming this side of TNN. Which doesn't exist anymore, if I recall correctly). Anyway, I've been getting a bit less angry about the nonsense I hear on NPR lately, but it's still there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home