The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. - Wm. Blake

Friday, September 30, 2005

Friday Random Ten

Stetson Kennedy - Billy Bragg and Wilco, Mermaid Avenue Volume 2
I'll Fly Away - Alison Kraus & Gillian Welch, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Temporary Like Achilles - Bob Dylan, Blonde On Blonde
Stackolee - Woody Guthrie, Muleskinner Blues
Can You See Me? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced?
Caroline - The Clarks, Someday Maybe
I CanĀ“t Explain - The Who, Live At Leeds
I'm a Man - The Yardbirds, Greatest Hits
Lovely Day - Pixies, Trompe Le Monde
Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine, The Battle of Los Angeles

Not much to say, but two things:

First, I will never get over the fact that The Who's first single was so strong, captured their sound and soul so perfectly, that it was their concert opener for virtually every concert they did for 20 years. And it still rocks.

Second, I'm really glad that O Brother had the success it did, and I'm very happy for all the artists experiencing often-unprecedented popularity. But as someone who was looking forward to the movie over a year before it came out (based not on the Cohens, of whom I'm not a fan, but on the nexus of The Odyssey and musicians like Emmylou and Gillian), I always feel like one of those insufferable hipsters who were into the band before they got big. Well, this time, I really was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home