The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. - Wm. Blake

Friday, December 09, 2005

Thursday Random Ten

Every Little Thing - The Beatles, Beatles For Sale
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - The Beatles, Abbey Road
DonĀ“t Let Me Down - The Beatles, Past Masters, Vol. 2
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles, The Beatles (White Album)
Rocky Racoon - The Beatles, The Beatles (White Album)
Because - The Beatles, Abbey Road
She Said She Said - The Beatles, Revolver
Honey Pie - The Beatles, The Beatles (White Album)
The Night Before - The Beatles, Help!
Hey Bulldog - The Beatles, Yellow Submarine

Actually, not so random - the first pass was almost all Paul songs (started with Yesterday, for Pete's sake) - but I've never been a huge believer in strictly segregating anyway. If there's anything the last 35 years have taught us, it's that none of the four of them could have done more than a handful of their Beatles work as well without the others. So, for John, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Honey Pie, as well as I Want You (She's So Heavy) and She Said She Said.

You know, I had just turned eight when he was shot, but I'd been a Beatles fan all my life, even then - wore the grooves out on the Red, Blue, and White albums. But I think that I was as astonished that John had been alive as that he'd been shot. They were so much bigger than life, it was impossible to imagine that one of them was just living everyday life there on Central Park. And yet he was. He had been. Then he wasn't. Dammit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home