The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. - Wm. Blake

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Blogroll Update

Shame on me for going this long without linking to my hero, a truly rule-breaking architect: Malcolm Wells, "Father of Underground Architecture."

Now, let's be clear right off the bat: this has nothing to do with basements or bomb shelters. Underground buildings - less alarmingly called "earth-sheltered" - are dry, sunny, and comfortable year-round - cool in the summer and warm in the winter. They rely on the moderating effects of a thick blanket of earth and the warming power of the sun to create low-energy structures that coexist with the living environment and last practically forever.

I'll have more to say about this in the future, but for now you can poke around Mac's site. I should mention that he's also one of the warmest, gentlest, and kindest people I've ever known. You want an alternative to starchitecture, well, here he is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home